Saturday, 15 October 2016

Bardsey week 7 (08-14/10/16)

Another good week on Bardsey, this time with a stand out highlight! Calm winds continued to flow from the east for the entire week, provoking an imminent rare. The week got off to a good start, when a Red-breasted Flycatcher was found in one of the nets at Cristin, I was busy watching a Yellow-browed Warbler when the news came through, but I still made the short run to the observatory to find the bird wasn’t even being processed yet. Once the bird was ringed, it was shown to those who were interested. The day also produced a couple of Ring Ouzels, which were another pleasant surprise and a female Redstart along the West Side.

Red-breasted Flycatcher

Common Redstart

On the 9th, I was fortunate enough to get two ringing ticks in one day. It began with a Yellow-browed Warbler which was caught at Ty Nesaf in the morning. Followed by a Water Rail caught in the Heligoland Trap in the afternoon! Yellow-browed Warblers continued to increase in number and a total of 14 were recorded on the 9th, making a new record for the island!

Yellow-browed Warbler

Water Rail

Yellow-browed Warbler

By the 10th the relentless easterlies had brought with them a large number of crests, 114 Goldcrests were logged, the largest number this autumn so far. Their numbers should be increasing over the next few weeks, since they didn’t reach their maximum until close to the end of October last year. Thrushes were also moving through this week. The nights are getting longer, the temperatures are dropping and winter is coming, this all lead to the beginning of thrush movement through the island, largely featuring Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Fieldfares and Redwings. Plenty were caught in the nets this week, allowing us to enjoy close views of this charismatic bird in the hand.


Little Owl

The 11th and 12th were much the same as before, it wasn’t until the 13th when it kicked off. In the morning a Radde’s Warbler was found at Plas Withy, I was only a few hundred metres away so I made a run over to the site. We put up the nets in the Withy, I retreated from the withy and searched for the bird. A large Phyllosc. flew into the north side of the withy, and after some scowering I picked up the bird, sitting in some brambles. The bird then flew towards me and landed in a patch only 10m away at most! I was able to enjoy great views for about 20 seconds before the bird flew off and disappeared. Despite extensive searching the bird wasn’t relocated until the afternoon, when the bird was seen at Nant and was trapped shortly thereafter. An absolutely amazing experience to see a Radde’s Warbler in the hand!

Radde's Warbler!

No comments:

Post a Comment